There are many things to do in preparation for a newborn baby, from buying tons of baby clothes to setting up a nursery and gear for the baby’s sleeping bed. When preparing for an infant, you have to consider how the baby will wear, sleep, eat, what diapers will use, and other necessities.
The many supplies a newborn requires can take you by surprise, but having a checklist can help you prepare better. Check out this item checklist for baby essentials you need for your newborn baby.
Baby wardrobe essentials
It doesn’t get better than buying classic children’s clothing to keep your baby warm and comfortable. Here are the baby clothes must-haves:
- Eight undershirts or onesies in a mix of short and long sleeves.
- Five pajamas for dressing your baby until the cord falls off.
- Five pairs of pants.
- Two pairs of scratch mittens for preventing the baby from scratching their face.
- Three cardigans.
- Around ten pairs of socks.
- Baby girl clothes such as rompers for dress up.
- Snowsuits for a winter baby.
- Wearable blankets for the winter.
- Baby boy clothes set for dress-up.
- Newborn hats that cover the ears, especially for winter babies.
- Gentle laundry detergent.
Ensure you have three large cotton blankets and around 5-8 receiving blankets that also serve as burp cloths.
Baby nursery essentials
A baby’s nursery calls for adorable decor, but you need to choose an infant bed and gear that makes caring for the baby easier. Check out these nursery essentials:
- Baby’s crib or cradle.
- Firm and flat mattress.
- Waterproof mattress covers.
- Light blankets small enough to fit in the crib.
- Sleep sack.
- Baby monitor.
For bathing your baby, you need:
- One plastic infant tub.
- Soft washcloths.
- Baby soap.
- Three soft hooded towels.
- Baby hairbrush.
- Baby oil.
You should be ready to feed your baby all round the clock, whether breastfeeding or formula feeding, so you need to have the following things.
- Breast pump if you plan to breastfeed.
- Formula if you plan to supplement.
- Nursing bras and pads.
- Nipple cream.
- Lots of bibs.
- Burping cloths
- Nursing pillow.
- Milk storage containers.
- Thermal bottle carrier.
- Bottle sterilizer, which can be optional.
Diapers are a must-have for your newborn baby. You can even use reusable cloth diapers. Below are baby necessities for diapering.
- Enough diapers.
- Unscented and alcohol-free baby wipes.
- Diaper cream.
- Diaper bag.
Baby hygiene and health essentials
Bathtimes can be the most exciting for your little baby. Before you get to dress your baby girl in her little girls’ clothes, it is vital to take care of her hygiene. Here are some baby health essentials you need for your baby girl or baby boy.
- Nail clippers.
- Baby thermometer.
- Petroleum jelly.
- First aid kit.
- Cradle cap brush.
- Pacifiers can be optional.
Other baby gear essentials
When shopping for clothes for little boys or girls, do not forget that you need some critical ready gear for babies on the move. Some of the essentials you need include:
- A baby carrier.
- Infant car seat.
- Baby swing or rocking chair.
- Stroller (optional)
- Rattles and other baby toys.
Babies are our bundles of joy, but they surely need many things that make taking care of them more manageable.